Friday, January 30

BofA gives out $78, free taxes

Sorry that things have been quiet today. I got a MRSA infection, and it makes me extra tired. With a little extra craziness (next week I'll be guest posting on Ms Money Savvy about IRAs, with a tied-in post on this blog) I've been busy and worn out.

But here are some things that you need to know sooner, rather than later.

If you were a customer at Bank of America between 2000-2008, you may be eligible for $78 back, thanks to a class action lawsuit settlement. This is for extraneous fees that were charged on overdrafts. Find more information here.

And for all you diligent people who are already attacking your taxes (we are e-filed as of this morning!): Don't forget about IRS's Free-File. Under this program, you may get access to tax software for -- you guessed it -- free. In addition, if you qualify, you can e-file without being charged.

The tax software is legit -- one of the participating companies is H&R Block, so we used TaxCut gratis. And if you're not sure which one to choose? The IRS can guide you by asking a few simple questions.

Also, be sure to check that you received the correct stimulus payment last year. For example, based on my 2007 return, I only qualified for $300. This year, I earned income, so we got an extra $163. Check the amount you should get here.

If, like me, you can't for the life of you remember how much your check was, the IRS has a page to help you figure out your payment.

And never forget: The IRS has a 1-800 number. Use it. The times I have called, I have found the workers to be helpful and polite. But call earlier rather than later. The closer to April, the more likely it is that you won't get a call back for up to three days. (Though they will call you back. I speak from experience.)

Labels: , , ,


Blogger Shtinkykat said...

Talk about losing perspective - I was bummed that I wasn't charged any overdrafts by BofA to take advantage of the class action settlement. But I slapped myself and said, "That's a good thing!"

January 30, 2009 at 5:59 AM

Blogger Abby said...

If it makes you feel any better, I had the same thought!

January 30, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Blogger Zenas said...

thanks so much for the IRS tips, very helpful.

January 31, 2009 at 5:29 AM

Blogger FrugalCityDweller said...

I found this post helpful, but when I went to try and efile through H and R it says I have to pay $30 for my state. I don't remember this happening when I used TaxAct last year.

February 2, 2009 at 11:39 PM

Blogger Abby said...


According to the IRS free file page --,,id=118986,00.html?portlet=6 -- mentions only federal returns being free. Some of the companies, however, do offer state returns, from what I can tell. Consider using the "Help me find a company" guide. One of the questions is whether you want to file state returns. Maybe that will help you find a place that will file your state taxes for free, as well.

February 3, 2009 at 7:02 PM


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home